Towns of our territory

Leaving the art nouveau of San Pellegrino Terme, go and discover the Serina Valley, which owes its name to the creek passing through it and is very different from what you have experienced in San Pellegrino. The first community Bracca, is first mentioned in an 1186 document in which the Bishop of Bergamo allows the inhabitants grazing rights. The communal borders of Bracca-Lepreno, which formed one community, were defined in 1234. During the viscount era, in 1392, Bracca was joined to Serina. From 1428, Bracca became an autonomous community. Bracca is admired for its many pretty neighbourhoods, the mule-trails, with its masonry full of history and for its main festivals, such as the chestnut and truffle festivals.
From the Latin cornus = rock and albus = white. The name refers to the cliff above the village, the most significant feature of the area. The poet Virgil admired its savage beauty on one of his journeys and gave it the name Corna Bianca because it rises above the valley mists like a veritable home of the gods. A legend about gnomes and chains is connected with this great rock. The cliff which protects the village and its inhabitants from the cold mountain wind is up close and personal. It is enchanting and scary - it might invade the village. But the gnomes who have always lived in the mountain forest take turns to keep the rock anchored with huge chains. They never gave up and the first Sunday in August the chains and ropes used by the peasants in their daily work were blessed in thanks to them.
With its beautiful panoramic position along the Via Mercatorum, the town looks down over the valley floor. Its origins may date back to the 1st century AD during the Roman Empire when all the Serina Valley was subject to Bergamo. The first documentary evidence is from 1186 when it is mentioned that the Bishop of Bergamo made concessions to some residents in the area at the request of the village priest. In medieval times the village played an important role. It was called Costa di Sambusita then and was one of the first in the area to be self-ruled with its own communal statute. Its territory included Sambustia and Rigosa, which are now part of Algua, and all the small residential areas on the left bank of the Serina creek. It was not until the 15th century that the village changed its name to Costa Serina.
Dossena ( From the speed bump Dorsum on which the housing nucleus is developed) is an italian little town of 974 habitants between Seriana and Brembana Valley. It is in the province of Bergamo.
The first settlements probably date back to the bronze age with the discovery of iron calamine and galena mines. For this reason Dossena is considered the first stable settlement in Brembana Valley.
The exploration of the mines has made the country an important center from the etruscan era and this condition has allowed the construction of muleteer of liaison that facilitated the operations and rhe commercial moves. One of this muleteer was the old "Via Mercatorum" recently recovered and still viable.
The ancient mines shall be recovered and now shall be accessible with a tour inside them. The country has a great historical importance because it was seat of the first "arcipresbiteriale" church in Brembana Valley. Now it is seat of some paintings of Paolo Veronese and here Leonardo Da Vinci resided and he tries to improve the mines and recover them. Also the murales  are very important, they are some masterpieces made by a lot of artsits as Filippo Alcaini. There are a lot of scenes with sacred and profane subjects.
There is also the so-called "Mascherada de Dosena" that is a party during carnival and it celebrate the finish of winter that is a cold season and it isn't favourable to country practices.
Situated in one the most breathtaking panorama,  Mezzoldo offers different types of entertainments: numerous excursions suitable for all the tourists (as starting point or destination Ca San Marco Refugee), fishing in mountain creeks, winter sports, ski mountaineering . It’s worthwhile a visit the palace which hosted  the Venetian customs. Also the Church is important. It was built in the Sixteen Century and dedicated to San Giovanni Battista, it has an important painting designed by Lattanzio da Rimini and an altar in black marble. It’s also commendable the village Sparavera, a little community South the administrative centre with its rural houses.
The name of the town refers to its location and probably derived from the habit of other villages in the Serina Valley to call the residents of the districts of Oltre il Colle (S. Bartolomeo, Zambla Basssa, Zambla Alta and Zorzone) “beyond the hill” (the Vanini is the hill past Valpiana). The community coat of arms is a shield divided in two surmounted by a Ghibelline crown, the symbol of a free community. The red field on the left symbolises 3 mountains, two at the base and one at the top, with a pick above to recall the mines that were a mainstay of the valley economy in the past. On the right, the blue field is completely taken up with a lovely gushing fountain, the Drago spring whose waters were so refreshing in the past.
San Pellegrino Terme is the pearl of the Brembana Valley, a sophisticated art nouveau treasure trove whose internationally acclaimed, top quality mineral water sets it apart from other towns. Although originally equally characterised by poverty, plague and rural homes, once the production of mineral water started in the 19th century, San Pellegrino started setting itself apart and developing an architecture unlike any other in the valley. San Pellegrino’s history did not, however, commence with art nouveau but with 15th century relics and 18th century religious buildings before the main attractions took hold the scene, the Casino and Grand Hotel of the Belle Époque. Construction of elegant private homes and public spaces, giving a feeling of walking through the past, continued until the 2nd World War. The itinerary starts at the Casino displayed on the bottle label.
From Bracca drive towards Serina, which, like S. Pellegrino T., is steeped in history. Serina is synonymous with a mountain holiday village. It is redolent of its Venetian past. Regarding the foundation of Serina, the local parish priest and historian, Don Tommaso Carrara Erasmi (1744-1818), wrote in his essay “Historical information on Serina and Lepreno” that the founders of his home town were two Alemanni, Ceronio and Carrerio, “remarkable people… virtuous, kind-hearted men”, who arrived in the valley with Charlemagne towards the end of the 8th century AD. Other sources, including said Don Tommaso, mention the Carraresi from Padova whilst others speak of a Carrara family back in 1134 … it remains a mystery! Don Tommaso also mentions 22 famous people from Serina: Sister Angela Carrara, a professor, 13 men of the church including 4 beatified, 4 military men, 2 professors of medicine, the painter Palma the Elder, and a writer, Gerolamo Tiraboschi (1731-1794).
Situated in the low part of Brembana Valley not far from San Pellegrino Terme (4km). The administrative centre grows along the valley floor on the right bank relief of Brembo River, while the other residential center     are located mainly on the left bank relief.

Turist office

Ufficio turistico di San Pellegrino Terme
Via San Carlo, 4 - San Pellegrino Terme
Tel: 0345.21020
Orari di apertura: tutti i giorni dalle 9:30 alle 12:30 e dalle 15:00 alle 18:00

Do you want to join us?

For tourist operator and for companies that want to join, please contat Tourist Office of San Pellegrino Terme at

Do you want to suggest us anything?

For any kind of suggestion, please contact us at